A gemological certificate is equal to an identity card.
The certificate provides all the requested knowledge about the diamond: what is the shape of the diamond, what is the diamond’s weight, what are its color and clarity grades. What are its measurements, its cut, its symmetry and polish grades. What is the fluorescence level, are there any graining lines in the diamond, are there any treatments within the diamond.
In gemological certificate of a diamond of 1.00ct and above, it is common to plot the clarity characteristics. The plotting advises why the diamond was graded with its clarity grade.
The GIA-Gemological Institute of America – is the most well-known institute all over the world. It has many branches around the globe and has one also in Israel. This is the plotting policy of the GIA:
- Internal characteristics will be marked in red.
- External characteristics will be marked in green.
- Extra facets will be marked in black.
- Internal characteristics which are seen from the crown will be marked in the crown.
- External characteristics will be marked where they are.
- Internal characteristic that touch the surface of the stone, like an open cleavage will be marked where they are.
- Combined inclusions such as an indented natural and a cavity will be marked where they are in green and red.
- An inclusion should be marked only once.
Would you like to learn more about diamonds? You can approach the Center of Gemological Studies and register to the most prestige, affluent and respected gemology course in the Israeli Diamond Center.
Hadas Dori Bar Moshe also lectures about diamonds in her lecture: The Secrets of the Diamonds.